An Update for Translation of Documents

Today I was conversing with someone on the topic of having marriage documents translated into German and whether they will be accepted at face value or sent back for translation. During this conversation, I came to know something I had never heard before. Apparently, it is possible to have documents translated and directly verified by the German diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate) in your country of origin. For a fee, the Germans will translate and verify your documents. While submitting the documents to your local Standesamt, you can let them know that you had this done and paid for it.

I have no idea if this is just a rumor or fact. If anyone does, please comment and let me and others know. However, this could be a way to circumvent the process of verification which would normally go through layers of bureaucracy in Germany and your country and would result in lengthy verification times. If true, this could be a good solution for those wishing to marry urgently.


Visit to the Standesamt – III

I forgot to mention earlier that before having the documents submitted for translation, I took them with my fiance to the Standesamt. The lady at the Standesamt went through them and I explained what each document was to her. She told us that everything seemed to be in order and that these documents should be translated. As I have stated in earlier posts, my local Standesamt is a bit clueless about things and are really going to send the documents to the Oberlandesgericht (OLG) in Düsseldorf under whom they operate. The OLG Düsseldorf will have the final say for the whole case.

Attestation from the Foreign Ministry

The Foreign Ministry of Pakistan has its head office in Islamabad and maintains so called “camp offices” in Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar and Quetta. Any document issued by any official authority in Pakistan can be attested by any Foreign Ministry office in the country.

To add a further layer of validation to my documents, I had them attested by the Foreign Ministry as well. They attested everything except the declaration by my father because it had not been issued by a government authority. However, according to the person translating my documents, this attestation was completely unnecessary. He is familiar with how things are in the subcontinent and told me that it was a waste of time and money to get things attested because they cannot be translated and are just left in the copies.

So it’s up to you and how you feel. I erred on the side of caution and am trying to do everything I can to allay the fears of the people in the Oberlandesgericht who will decide my case. I want them to be convinced that the documents are in order and the Apostille can be issued without verification from Pakistan. This could turn a 2 month wait into a 5-6 month ordeal.

The documents in detail

In this post, I will explain details about the documents I had made from Pakistan. I will go through them one by one. Remember, that for people from other countries, this is the website to find out all the required documentation for your country of origin: Note that this website is only for NRW.

1. Birth Certificate

You can get your updated birth certificate from the NADRA in Pakistan. You get it fairly quickly from any NADRA branch anywhere in the country. For people from other countries, either use the original birth certificate or ask your local government office for a newer computerized version. Both versions should be equally valid in Germany. I would personally recommend the newer computerized version because it could deter the authorities from sending the documents to your country for validation and save you a lot of time.

2. Certificate of No Impediment

This certificate (for Pakistanis) has to come from the Union Council. It cannot be from anywhere else. The Secretary or Chairman of the Union Council has to say that you are unmarried in their records. But please – and I cannot stress this enough – make sure they enter in their records that you are indeed single. These people have to be pushed to do their jobs. If the record is not entered, and the German government sends your documents for scrutiny, no records will exist and you might run into trouble.

3. Declaration

Even though a declaration from my father was not necessary and was not stated in the documents I needed to provide, I did it anyway just to be on the safe side. The text was fairly simple and stated that my father declares that I’m single. He had it printed on a Rs. 100 stamp paper and had it attested by a magistrate as well. Additionally, the imam of my local mosque (who has the Nikah register) also checked, verified and wrote by his hand that I am single and that his records reflect it as well. He signed and stamped it.

4. Family Registration Certificate (FRC)

The FRC is not completely necessary but I am going to submit it anyway. The reason is, I want another record from NADRA reflecting my status as a single person. Additionally, this document also shows that my father is indeed my father and authenticates his declaration. It’s just a plan B thing. You don’t have to have it made, but I say do it just to be safe.

The complete set of documents you will need

Hello everyone. After a long absence, I’m back on the blog. The reason for me not posting since March was because I had nothing new to report until all the documentation from Pakistan was done. So, I have obtained the following documents from Pakistan:

  1. my birth certificate from the National Database and Registration Authortity (NADRA);
  2. a Certificate of No Impediment to marriage signed by the local Secretary of the Union Council;
  3. a declaration from my father attesting to the fact that I am unmarried
  4. the Family Registration Certificate (FRC) from NADRA.

All these documents are being translated as I write this post and as soon as I have them translated, I will submit them to the local Standesamt. For translation – only in NRW – you can refer to this website: Please note that your state might have its own website for this as well. I haven’t had the time to properly research this.

Stay tuned for a post explaining these documents in detail.